4th ANNUAL PACKRAFT ROUNDUP!
APA will be hosting the fourth annual Roundup this July 5-8, 2017 in Swan Valley, Idaho at Falls Campground in the Caribou-Targhee National Forest. Cost sharing for the weekend is $50 per person (kids 13 and under are free), which covers four nights of camping, Saturday night’s BBQ party, keynote speaker’s honorarium, and American Canoe Association event membership and insurance. The Roundup will disperse Sunday morning, July 9.
The Roundup is a great place to meet and network with other packrafters, learn about access and conservation issues, share and learn some tips and techniques, help our community with service projects, and of course packraft on the famous rivers of eastern Idaho. Waterways such as South Fork of the Snake, Snake River Canyon, Salt River, McCoy Creek, Bear Creek, Palisades Creek, Pine Creek, Falls River, Henry’s Fork, Teton River, Bitch Creek, and Robinson Creek offer a wide variety of adventurous packrafting for all ability levels. Our themes for this year’s Roundup are camaraderie, safety, and conservation of wild rivers.
Our time window is ideal for packrafting in this part of the northern Rockies because the rivers are past peak, but still rage from snowmelt and a healthy groundwater aquifer on the west side of Yellowstone and the Tetons. The Roundup will be a great jumping off point for personal trips afterward throughout Greater Yellowstone and central Idaho.
If you haven’t already, we strongly recommend taking a swift-water rescue course in preparation for the Roundup. Swiftwater Safety Institute is conveniently offering one-day and three-day courses immediately prior to the Roundup, in Jackson Hole. Participants will need to arrange their own accommodations in Jackson Hole during the course. Do this soon, as campgrounds and hotels fill quickly during Independence Day holiday. See the yellow box below for details.
Stay tuned…we will send out a schedule as the time approaches. For more information about the Roundup, to share your ideas, or to volunteer, please contact us at email@example.com.
Prepare for the roundup:
- Sign up!! by clicking HERE.
- Review our Roundup equipment list here. Learn about local resources here.
- Bring one or two of your videos on a thumb drive to share at our Film Festival.
- Before you leave home, please print and sign an American Canoe Association release form for each participant in your party, and bring it with you. Check the box for “ACA Event Membership.” Membership is mandatory and included in the Roundup registration fee. Adult form. Minor form.
- If you plan to paddle in Wyoming during the swiftwater rescue courses, or on your own, all watercraft must be inspected for Aquatic Invasive Species. Click here for inspection locations and regulations. Inspection decals are NOT required for inflatable watercraft under 10 feet in length in Wyoming or Idaho, but Wyoming requires a free inspection for watercraft under 10 feet in length. Idaho does not require an inspection for watercraft under 10 feet.
- If you intend to float rivers or lakes in Grand Teton National Park before or after the Roundup, purchase your $10 boating permit sticker at the Visitor Center in Moose, Wyoming. This sticker must be affixed to the port stern (left rear) of your packraft and is required for all paddling in Grand Teton National Park. Please familiarize yourself with GTNP boating regulations.
- Like, monitor, and post at Teton Packrafting on Facebook to network with other packrafters for carpooling and organizing trips before or after the Roundup. Also, please join the APA Packraft Roundup Facebook page for Roundup updates.
- Our Falls Campground group site can accommodate 150 people and 60 vehicles. It has vault toilets and potable water, but no electricity.
SWIFTWATER SAFETY COURSES
**Currently full – Contact Swiftwater Safety Institute to get on the waiting list**
Swiftwater Safety Institute is offering optional but highly recommended one- and three-day Swiftwater Rescue Training courses in conjunction with the Roundup. Participants will need to arrange their own accommodations in Jackson Hole during the course. Do this soon, as campgrounds and hotels fill quickly during Independence Day holiday…
1-day Packraft-Specific Swiftwater Rescue “Crash Course”
Date: July 5
3-day Packraft-Specific Swiftwater Rescue Training
Dates: July 3-5